Thursday, December 4, 2008

Unlike Me






A Knit of Joy and A Purl of Affection

All my life I have been of the opinion that there are some things that are best not learnt as there are shops and markets to cater for them. These are knitting and sewing. Why should I try my hand on these when there are so many tailors, boutiques and showrooms around?

But some days back I was at my masiji’s (mother’s sister) house and saw her busy knitting a shawl for her daughter. I wanted to knit too. “Mum keeps knitting for us, why not I knit for her for a change,” I thought.

Well, all I know is knit and purl, that’s it. But knitting involves a lot more than a purl and a knit.

Leela masiji’s daughter said why don’t I take help from her mother and knit the sweater. Now, that seemed reasonable.

My cousins said I could surprise my mum as she is away visiting my brother. I also felt I should surprise her when she returns. But then mum and I don’t keep any secrets so I told her the very next day when I spoke to her and she was surprised. She must think I am joking.

Next day I called masiji, asked her how much wool would suffice and I made a trip to a far off market to buy wool and knitting needles.

It has been 3 weeks and my blue cardigan is nearing completion. I should be able to complete it by tomorrow and all with masiji’s help. I have been visiting her on alternate days with my proud achievements of knitted pieces of the sweater. She has been a good teacher helping me knit piece by piece – the back, front halves, sleeves, borders, neck, and now she is making the base border with crochet. I am going to knit a shawl next.

Knitting for mum has been a great experience. It is so special – like a renewed bonding with mum with a knit of joy and a purl of affection.

No comments: